THE MOST COMMON SPIDERS IN SYDNEY
Australia is home to around 2.400 different species of spiders and are an important part of our ecosystem. Only about 50 of these spiders are harmful to humans.
It is always better to play it safe when it comes to spiders and if you are not sure if the spider you have seen is dangerous, take a picture of the spider, if it is safe to do so & email it to us to identify it and determine what treatment is required.
Let’s take closer look at some of the most common species you are likely to encounter at some point in and around your home or your business and which treatment is required.
Common spiders in Sydney
WEBBING SPIDERS INCLUDE:
GROUND SPIDERS INCLUDE:
The difference between a ground spider and a webbing spider?
Ground spiders are ground dwelling hunters that do not create webs.
They can be found
Webbing spiders are spiders that create webs to catch their prey.
They can be found:
Basically, anywhere a web can be created such as
- Window frames
- Curtain rails
- Inside door frames
- Along fencing
PEST CONTROL TREATMENT OPTIONS
The treatment for webbing spiders is covered under our general spray.
The areas treated include:
- A dust/powder is sprayed into the roof cavity with a dust gun. The roof cavity will be accessed through the manhole by the technician to spread the dust throughout the area.
- A dust or powder will be sprayed to the areas underneath the house.
- An internal barrier spray will be applied to the skirting boards throughout the house including all the rooms.
- A dust may be applied to any evident cracks and crevices.
- If there are any Redback or White tail spiders, the use of smoke bombs will be recommended and let off by the technician.
- Spray to the following areas, Garage, sheds, pathways, fence lines, windows, gutters, fascia’s, Telstra pits, cracks and crevices and weep holes.
Ground spiders are treated with a chemical application to all ground external areas.
Ongoing treatments are required.
If possible, we highly recommend investing in some miniature chickens or ducks as they will help keep the ground spiders under control.
Treatment for Redback and White tail spiders Internally
If you are seeing redback spiders or white tail spiders inside the house, we would recommend the use of an additional product which is known as a smoke generator.
The reason for the use of the smoke generator is simply because your standard spray and dust application would not be able to reach the areas where red back spiders and white tail spiders can hide.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER OUR SPIDER TREATMENT:
- Spiders will be flushed out and will continue to flush out over the next 6 weeks.
- Spiders around windows will be reduced by 80-90% and Redbacks should be reduced by 90-100% depending on initial severity.
- If you have had a severe Redback issue, we suggest another external treatment 3 months after the first treatment which would assist in removing any new population build-ups.
- If you live in a bushy suburb and a lot of trees around the property, you will never stop spiders 100%.
Are spiders invading your home?