There are 11 known species of mouse spider in Australia and it is closely related to the trapdoor and the Sydney funnel web spider. The Mouse spider can be distinguished between these other 2 spiders by their pronounced compact, squat and huge fang sheaths at the front of the head area.
Mouse spiders should be considered dangerous and treated with caution as they can be aggressive and will bite if provoked.
- Dark brown or black in colour
- medium to large spiders located at the rear of the abdomen
- Their size varies between 10-35mm with the male being smaller than the female
- High, bulbous heads and jaws
- The carapace is smooth and shiny
- The eyes are spread across the front of the carapace
- The spinnerets are short, the last segment domed and button-like
- Male spiders have long slender pedipalps
- Male spiders have no mating spurs on the legs
- Males of some species have distinctive colour markings but others are black overall
- Male mouse spiders search for a female at about four years of age.
- Mating takes place in the female’s burrow
- After mating the male dies
- The female lays 60 or more eggs within an egg sac
- The egg sac is placed in a brood chamber off the main shaft of her burrow
- The spiderlings hatch from the egg sac over summer
- The spiderlings remain with the mother until autumn
- The spiderlings leave the nest during autumn
- Can be found in both coastal and drier habitats throughout Australia
- Live in burrows in soil covered with a hinged top
- Large, silk-lined burrows can vary from 20 cm to 55 cm deep
- They create two surface trapdoors, at right angles to each other
- Difficult to see as the silk and soil trapdoors merge well with the soil
- Heavy rain often forces them out of their burrows
- Male and female Mouse spiders have very large fangs
- Aggressive spiders and will bite
- Some mouse spiders have very toxic venom
- No human deaths have been reported
- If bitten, it should be considered life-threatening
- Seek medical assistance urgently
Why Choose us?
Why our clients love us
Could have sold me a service I didn't need, but chose to give me some great free advice on how I could deal with my issue cheaply.
Professional from start to finish. Polite and attentive service. Detailed, high quality work and fairly priced. Saved in my favourites for next year ! Thank you for doing such... read more
Definitely the best pest control service. We've had them work on our house twice and they've been able to resolve our pest issues. The workers were friendly, helpful and were... read more
Excellent service: very friendly and capable staff who were very helpful. The company talks about ethical customer service (which is why I chose them) and they were true to their... read more
Very efficient and professional service, from their office to the guy on the ground were efficient, on time, very helpful and went the extra mile to protect our home and... read more
Nigel is really a good guy. Very professional and detail-oriented. Would definitely come back next year for pest control routine work.
So happy with this company and their service. Alex came tight on time, evaluated the situation and provided a quick solution that was well under the quoted price. Honest, friendly... read more
100% best pest control company out there.
So friendly, extremely efficient at getting back to you, great advice and knowledge on all kinds of pests. Used them at my apartment for... read more
We have had 2 treatments at 2 different properties with Sydneys Best Pest Control and the service and treatments provided have been no less than fantastic.
The technicians were on-time and... read more
Amazing job ! I was trying to get rid of cockroaches for a long time! I think I tried all the products and methods on the planet to kill them.
They... read more