We now hear Christmas songs and when you checked on your calendar the months ends now in “ber” and it only means one thing – Summer is almost here!
You probably find yourself spending more and more time outside of the house and while you get out of the house comes pests and invasive insects that would love nothing more than to get INTO your home!
So what are the common pests we have in Sydney:
Cockroaches -nowhere in the house is safe and from these guys, although the kitchen is always a good spot because they are always looking for food.
Mosquitoes – they are most active during this season.
Huntsman spiders -they seek shelter after the rain and they’re helpful keeping other insects down indoors.
Pantry Moths– these are tiny, nearly-invisible eggs come into your house in food packages, and they can hatch into larvae which later turn into moths that wreak havoc on your foodstuffs.
Silverfish – They like eating silk, linen, paper, cardboard and damp clothing.
Possums– which are a native in Australia and feed on almost anything they can find including insects, leaves, flowers, nectar, fruits and even small mammals, birds and reptiles.
Bedbugs– they measure only 8.02 centimetres so you may not even see them if your home is infested. But you will certainly feel their effects! Bed bugs love to hitchhike on people and are usually introduced to your home by travelling on your clothing or luggage.
So the best way to get rid of them or prevent them from going inside your house are the following:
- Block their entry to your home. Check, repair and seal off any openings where they can gain access.
- Clean, vacuum on a daily basis.
- Eat and store your foods properly.
- Store firewood as far away from the building as possible.
- Keep your attics well maintained and sealed.
- If you have to bring in anything clothes, luggage, toys thoroughly wipe it down first. When you check into a hotel, place all luggage in the bathtub before unpacking. This allows you to get a clear view of any critters approaching your belongings.
- Lastly, use a pest control service to your home and regularly spray for bugs and rodents common to your area.
For more information on seasonal pests and some great safety tips for summer click here
Let us help you, by protecting your health, your home & your food!