Spring Allergies & Pests
Spring has finally made its way to Sydney which means both temperatures and allergies are on the rise.
We are all aware of typical allergies that come from grass, pollen, mildew or weeds but did you know that pests living right under your nose may also be causing just as much suffering.
Some of the biggest offenders inside people’s homes include:
- Bed bugs
- Dust Mites
How can bugs cause allergies?
Once bugs die, proteins from their deteriorating bodies can become airborne inside homes and businesses which can cause human skin to become inflamed and itchy. These proteins can also trigger other allergic reactions such as sneezing, coughing or irritated eyes, mouth or throat.
What other pests can cause allergic reactions in spring?
Another pest issue that arrives with spring is biting flies such as bed bugs, fleas and ticks.
Bites can cause a range of issues from pain, redness, stinging and minor swelling.
Diseases are also known to be transmitted from biting pests to humans such as Lyme Disease & Ross River Virus.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Seal cracks and openings around the outside
- Keep basements and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry
- Keep food sealed and stored properly
- Don’t let garbage accumulate
- Never attempt do-it-yourself management of stinging insects if you or someone in your home is severely allergic to stings
- Reduce areas of standing water that are conducive to mosquito development outside the home
- Mow tall grass and weeds near areas where children play to reduce encounters with ticks
- Wear appropriate protective clothing and use insect repellents when entering areas where biting insects are present
Sydneys Best Pest Control provides a wide range of services for residential and commercial properties.
Our technicians will always aim to use the least invasive, most eco-friendly and affordable pest control services to fit each customer’s unique needs.
If you suspect you are having problems caused by unwanted pests, call Sydneys Best Pest Control for an appointment or free advice.