Silverfish are not dangerous in any way but can trigger allergies and damage your property. They are a metallic/silver colour and can run very fast, it almost looks as if they are swimming which is the reason for their name.
They can mostly be found in areas that have high moisture levels such as wood, gutters, under piles of leaves. They will gain access into your home through the cracks and gaps in the building and twill take up residence in the bathrooms, basement, or attic. They can cause damage by feeding on books, clothing, dry foods such as oats and flour.
Are silverfish attacking your home?
Signs of Silverfish Infestation:
- Feeding marks, such as holes, notches, or etches, on a surface.
- Yellow stains or scales in the affected area.
- Faeces, which appear as tiny black pellets.
- Removing piles of wet leaves and keeping wood off the ground and away from the home can encourage silverfish to find shelter elsewhere.
- Sealing up any gaps, cracks, and holes in basements, attics, foundations, or outer walls can prevent silverfish from finding ways into the home.
- Eliminating any damp areas in the home can also discourage silverfish from settling inside.
- Keeping basements, attics, bathrooms, and kitchens clean and dry will help prevent them from living in these rooms.
- Removing food sources for silverfish, such as dust and debris, by cleaning out closets and cupboards and dusting bookshelves.
- To prevent silverfish from getting into food products, store the products in glass or plastic airtight containers.
- Swap cardboard storage boxes in the attic or basement for plastic bins with sealable lids.
Prevent and control infestations by calling us on 1300 76 00 45 and speak to one of our friendly staff about scheduling your next pest treatment.