Summer Pest Defense:
HOW TO PROTECT YOUR HOME THIS SUMMER FROM PESTS
To prevent pests from infesting your home, there are several ways to eliminate these situations before they occur. It is a common fact that we see them all year round, but they become more active in warmer weather. Longer days, with more sunlight, gives them a longer time to feed. A few of the most habitual summer pests you are expected to come across are ants, mice, spiders, mosquitos, wasps and bees.
Follow these helpful hints from our pest control experts on their proven prevention tips to ward off pests.
Pests will wend their way into your home through any possible opening they can. Whether it is through open doors, windows, any cracks or crevices, holes and any given opening, they will maneuver their way inside.
To make it more difficult from pets entering your home, it is imperative to keep all areas clean. This includes:
- Keep your dustbin covered. Dispose of garbage regularly.
- Keep your kitchen clean. Wipe away food particles. Keep counters, stove tops and drawers clean.
- Store leftover food in sealed containers.
- Don’t keep fruit and vegetables out too long.
- Declutter. Dispose of things you do not need.
- Clean your home regularly and thoroughly.
- Clean out cupboards, closets and corners which are common hiding places for pests. Avoid the gathering of dust and dirt.
- Seal all points where pests can enter.
As mentioned above, pests will crawl through any possible opening to find their way inside. Check the perimeter of your home and seal up any cracks in the foundation. Also check door and window screens for holes as they would need to be replaced. These are common entry points for pests.
Maintain and prepare your yard. Your garden is a potential breeding ground for pests. By keeping it clean, you reduce pest invasion significantly.
- Clear away all unwanted debris, such as leaves branches and twigs.
- Prune plants and trim shrubs to avoid bushy growths at least 12 inches away of your home.
- Avoid excessive moisture. If you have a pond or water fountain, clean it regularly. Standing water attracts pests. Fix leaks and dripping hoses to reduce pest activity.
- Wood piles need to be kept away from your home.
- Keep your gardening equipment and all objects outdoors. Before using them for indoor purposes, clean them thoroughly.
- Keep your home well ventilated and control the humidity.
The above-mentioned measures can help reduce pest invasion in your home, but you cannot eliminate pests completely without regular pest control.
Our highly trained team of professionals at Sydney’s Best Pest Control use verified and effective solutions to ensure the safety of your family and your home by keeping it pest free.