Allergy Season Alert:
PESTS POSE NUMEROUS PROBLEMS DURING PEAK ALLERGY SEASON
As we know, once the weather conditions change and it becomes warmer during Springtime, our allergies become more irritated.
Pests thrive in hot and humid environments and nest where it is warmer, in our beds, carpets and cozy spots. Our coughs and sneezes are set off by means of their shedding residue that spread through the air.
Predictable causes of allergies, such as grass and tree pollen, weeds and mold growing in damp spots, are often the cause of allergic reactions. Pests, however, can be a continuous problem. It would be wiser to call for professional extermination, than to hand the pest invasion over to yet another can of insect spray.
Thee types of household pests known to trigger allergies:
- Dust mites
How do pests cause allergies?
Insect droppings, saliva, skin sheds and other body parts, contain allergen proteins, potent enough to cause severe allergic reactions, especially in children. These airborne particles can cause severe skin reactions, itching eyes, coughing, sneezing and can also increase asthma symptoms.
Stinging insects, such as bees, fire ants and wasps are known to have acute effects on people whose immune systems are triggered by the infectious agent released.
Biting insects cause allergic reactions if bitten by certain flies, mosquitos, bed bugs, fleas and ticks. Some might suffer from pain, a skin rash, hives, dizziness, swelling of the tongue and difficulty swallowing, or itchy and swollen skin around the bite area.
Insect bites may trigger life threatening illnesses, such as Lyme disease, Dengue fever, Malaria and Plague among others.
Some tips to reduce the threat of allergens in your home:
- Seal and store away all food. Clean all countertops and floors properly.
- Seal all garbage when discarding and throw away daily. Make sure the area is clean around the bin.
- Keep the basement area well ventilated and clean ducts regularly. Keep all other spaces dry. Maintain a stable humidity level.
- Seal all cracks and gaps in and around your house. Close openings where insects can enter from the outside, such as windows and screen doors. Take note of other useful location points like pipes.
- Mow the lawn regularly and keep grass short. It reduces the possibility of ticks surfacing.
- Be consistent in cleaning. Dust and vacuum regularly.
- Wash linen regularly.
- Reduce moisture. Pests accumulate and thrive where they have accessible water supply. Minimize standing water. Repair leaking pipes and make sure draining points are not close to the foundation.
- Switch to a water filter.
- Management and treatment need to be carried out constructively if you or a family member are allergic to insect stings. Inject epinephrine immediately if symptoms of Anaphylaxis appear.
- Wear suitable clothing to protect yourself when entering pest invaded areas. Use a sufficient insect repellent.
Call Sydney’s Best Pest Control on 1800 819 189 if you suspect unwanted pests in your residential or commercial property.
Our technicians use a less obtrusive and more ecofriendly, effective, and affordable pest control service to suit your specific needs.