FIND OUT HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PEST ALLERGIES,
COVID-19, THE FLU OR THE COMMON COLD IN 2021
With Covid-19 being a real concern in 2021 many of us worry that once we move into the cooler months of the year it will be difficult to determine what disease or reaction we are having. Pest allergies caused by stinkbugs and ladybugs over winter in in your home may cause similar symptoms to Covid-19, the flu and the common cold. Without a few key indicators or a test, you may not know for sure which one it is.
Determining the symptom differences between COVID-19, allergies, cold or flu.
One of the main differences between Covid-19 and the flu, is the loss of smell and taste. Losing this sensation is one of the many symptoms that can accompany the Covid-19 infection. The medical term for this is anosmia.
Dealing with invasive pests in the fall months can not only cause an annoying distraction with crawling insects all over your ceiling but can also cause some alarming allergic reactions that mimic the flu and Covid-19. After pest allergies progress, the later stage symptoms do not develop into the same alarming signs as the flu or Covid-19.
Pest Allergy Symptoms:
- Skin rashes, itching or hives,
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, or throat,
- Shortness of breath, trouble breathing or wheezing (whistling sound during breathing),
- Dizziness and/or fainting,
- Stomach pain, vomiting, bloating or diarrhea,
- Feeling like something awful is about to happen.
Ladybug and Stink Bug common allergic reactions:
Ladybugs and Stinkbugs are looking for wintering areas in the voids of homes. They can enter homes and buildings by the hundreds and thousands. In fact, this could not only cause only a nuisance, but a health issue due to allergic reactions.
Stink bugs and ladybugs do not bite in order to transmit disease, however, both do cause allergic reactions. Most noteworthy, they can mimic some of the flu or Covid-19 symptoms.
- These symptoms include:
- Runny nose,
- Vomiting or diarrhea.
- The symptoms that are included which will differentiate between these allergies and Covid-19 and the flu are the following:
- Itchy and watery eyes
- Hives (Hives look like raised irregular shaped spots on your skin and sometimes appear red and swollen around the area.)
Control and Prevention of Stink Bugs, Ladybugs:
Areas you will find stink bugs, ladybugs are almost limitless, but a few key areas to look are the following:
- Under beds
- Beneath the Sofas
- Crown moulding, cracks and surfaces
- Window trim
- Behind curtains
- There are lots of ways to keep stink bugs and ladybugs out of your home. A few simple ticks are the following:
- Caulk windows inside and out,
- Weather strip entry doors,
- Secure crawlspace doors and entries,
- Caulk small gaps around pipe entry points from outside or under your home,
- Cap or screen your chimney,
- Hire U.S. Pest to treat the outside of your home’s perimeter as well as cracks and crevices where stinkbugs are entering or harboring,
- Use the infographic attached to have a quick reference for any symptoms you may be having,
- Furthermore, always call your doctor or seek medical attention if you are experiencing a medical emergency or trouble breathing.
To avoid any nasty pest allergies, schedule your pest control today. Sydney’s Best Pest Control have a highly trained and experienced team which is here to provide you with year-round protection against a variety of pests.
Call us on 1800 819 189 or email us using our easy contact us form.