Having ants in your home can be an ongoing problem. If you had ants in your home last year there is a good chance that they will return this year.
Many people will try DIY treatments or will try old wives’ tale methods to get rid of them such as rubbing lemon juice over your counters or using pine cleaners and the majority of the people who have tried these know they do not work; they can often make the ant situation in your home worse.
Ants are a social insect, which basically means they live in colonies which can contain thousands of ants. The queen ants’ job is solely to make babies while the worker ants protect the colony and seek out food. The ants that you will see in your home are the forages which means these ants job is to locate a source of food. Once a food source has been found the forager ants leave behind pheromones for other foragers to follow their trail and carry the food back to the colony.
The best method of prevention is not to allow ants to enter your home in the first place. This can be achieved by:
- Closing up any possible entry points. Sealing up holes around doors and windows.
- Eliminating food crumbs and not leaving food out on counter tops.
- Ants will eat anything they can find, so if you leave it out know the ants will find it
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the sink for any length of time and especially not overnight.
- Use a dehumidifier in especially damp or moist areas, especially the basement. This can help eliminate the moisture that ants love inside your home.
Ants in reality are nuisance pests but if they infest your home in large numbers they can become a real problem. Ants travel through unsanitary means to enter your home and cause health issues.
If you have followed the above steps to prevent ants entering your home and you’re still experiencing an issue it would be time to call in the pest control experts.
Sydney’s Best Pest Control recommends adding on an ant treatment with your annual pest control service.
The products we use are guaranteed to work and will eliminate the entire nest of ants not just the surface ants.