Food Industry Pest Control during COVID-19
Covid-19 has forced many businesses around the world to make operational changes for the safety of their staff and customers.
Some businesses have temporarily closed but most food processing and service facilities continue to work with minimal staff to keep up with public demand.
The decrease in food traffic means that pests have been able to roam freely in search of food, entering buildings undetected creating additional pressures for businesses.
It is true that there is no evidence that Corona virus can be transmitted through pests such as cockroaches & rodents, however pests are capable of contaminating food and transmitting other deadly diseases to humans.
As an example, rats contaminate approx. 20% of the worlds food supply and can spread salmonella and hantavirus.
To prevent pest infestations from taking hold while businesses are impacted by COVID-19, owners must make proactive pest control a priority.
Food Industry Pest Control : Thorough Internal & External Inspections
Look for signs of a rodent infestation
- live or dead rodents
- rodent nests
- gnaw and rub marks.
Signs of a cockroach infestation
- Live cockroaches
- Egg capsules
- Smear marks
- Shed skin
- Unusual odour
Inspection Areas not to be missed internally & Externally
- Soap dispensers
- First Aid Kits
- Edges around equipment
- Areas behind equipment
- Under the sink
- Wall junctions
- Stainless steel legs –and the areas where there are steel joins
- Condensation trays behind the fridges
- Behind fridges, microwaves, stoves, freezers, etc
- Loading areas
- Rubbish areas
Remove potential food sources in your Food Industry
Cockroaches & rodents are attracted to food and service facilities where there is an abundance of food.
- Ensure any expired food is discarded
- Do not leave any food uncovered
- Store food in sealed containers
- Keep garbage bins closed
- Remove garbage regularly from inside and outside
Check for Cracks, Leaks and Gaps in your Food Industry
Cockroaches & rodents can enter your restaurant through cracks or holes in the doorway, in the foundation, bathroom pipes and air conditioning units.
It is important to inspect the inside and outside of your restaurant and look for them. If you see cracks and gaps in the foundation, you need to seal them up.
- Leaks in you water system should also be fixed immediately.
- Inspect the insides of your cabinets and other areas that serve as perfect hiding spots for roaches.
- Closing all these entry points can keep cockroaches out of your food service business.
Partner with a professional pest control company for your Food Industry Pest Control
Sydneys Best pest Control will be able to help implement an Integrated Pest Management plan, which is a customized approach to pest control that is suited to your business needs.
Designed programs offer Economical treatments that:
- Minimise health issues
- Limit disruption to staff and clients
- Sydneys Best Pest Control have trained and experienced technicians who work discreetly.
- Out of hours visits are available if required, at a time to suit you.
Health & Safety documentation as required, including:
- Risk assessments
- MSDS Data sheets
- Contact details
- Locked bait boxes ensuring safety.
- Dedicated staff to answer any queries you may have.
- No automated service, No call centre, just a friendly voice at the end of the phone.