Common Pest Phobias in the World
A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder, defined by a persistent and excessive fear of an object or situation. The phobia typically results in a rapid onset of fear and is present for more than six months.
Musophobia – The fear of rats & mice
- Rats and mice can definitely be counted as pests. They are one of the most common pests that you can find in homes or businesses not just in Australia but around the world.
- Musophobia is known as the fear of rats but is also connected to the panic a person may experience when he/she first encounters a mouse or a rat.
Lepidopterophobi & Mottephobia – The fear of butterflies and moths
- These are terms assigned to the phobias of butterflies and moths. These phobia names are linked due to the physical characteristics of the two insects.
- These fears often develop during the childhood but can also be overcome once the child realises that moths and butterflies cannot cause them harm
- Mottephobia and Lepidopterophobia can manifest during adulthood.
Myrmecophobia -The fear of ants
- Myrmecophobia refers to fear of ants.
- A person who suffers from this phobia can experience anxiety after just witnessing the sight of ants. Their fear also includes the concern of ants contaminating food or food sources.
- People who have this phobia are also afraid of having their homes invaded by a large group of ants.
Katsaridaphobia – The fear of cockroaches
- Another common pest phobia is katsaridaphobia or fear of cockroaches.
- A negative experience with cockroaches is what often leads to this phobia. Things like a family member’s disgust for cockroaches can trigger this fear.
Spheksophobia – The fear of wasps
- Fear of wasps or spheksophobia often can begin from being scared of wasp stings which can cause pain and in some people an anaphylactic reaction.
- Wasp stings for some people can cause serious allergies and in some people even death
Acarophobia – The fear of all insects
This phobia is not a fear of any particular insect, but a more generalised fear of biting insects.
A person who develops this fear is afraid of all insects that can cause bites such as
- Sand Flies
People who have acrophobia often buy and carry a lot of bug spray in order to ward off any insects that may enter their house or car and ultimately leave a bite on their skin.
The cause is usually trigged by a traumatic experience during an early age.
Arachnophobia – The fear of spiders
The most common & well-known pest phobia on this list.
Most spider species around the world are harmless, however there are a few spiders that have venoms powerful enough to cause a person to become violently ill & some can lead to death.
The majority of people dislike spiders, but there are people who have an incapacitating fear upon seeing spiders.
For some sufferers of arachnophobia just seeing a spider web is enough to provoke a fearful response.
Developing a pest phobia is no laughing matter !
Sydney’s Best Pest Control understands and can sympathize with anyone who has a pest phobia.
We promise to be understanding, listen to your fears and do all we can to eliminate the cause of your phobia.
We understand that the phobia is real, and we guarantee that any requests you may make will be noted down.
We will also refrain from going into detail with you on certain pest issues and will guide you through the process without making your phobia worse.
Your pest issue will be taken care of as quickly as possible
If you do suffer from any kind of pest phobia please let the consultant know so that they can make a note for the technician.